What the Printer Control BS7-P does

The printer control BS7-P is a great device for school events, training events or anything that doesn’t require any registration.  It helps if the participants all own an SI-6 or higher finger stick, with their name stored in the finger stick.

In this training example we have set up two courses, and five people are participating: Donald, Hewey, Dewey, Louie and Scrooge.  Donald and Scrooge, as adults, are doing one course of 6 controls (201 – 206), while the triplets are doing the shorter course, with just four controls (211 – 214).

Before the event

Make sure the printer battery is fully charged.  Clear the contents of the printer control, using the lilac Clear Backup instruction finger stick.  Each runner must clear their finger stick as well, using the Clear control.

The event

As each runner starts, they punch the start control.  After they have done the course, they return and punch the finish control.  Then they check in at the printer control.  Everytime a finger stick is punched into the printer control, the contents of the finger-stick is printed out.  Since the newer finger sticks have the name of the owner on it, the print-out is particularly easy to read.  Here’s what each duck’s print-out shows (click on each strip to enlarge it):

hewey dewey louie

donald scrooge

After the event

Once all runners have downloaded their finger stick into the printer control, aggregate results can be printed.  Here’s what was produced:

results

Ah, what’s this?  Hewey is shown on a different course than his brothers.  Checking the individual results of each runner, we see that Hewey missed control 211.

The nice thing with this control is the minimal amount of work that needs to be done.  All the preparation that is really required is to clear the backup memory of the printer control prior to the event.  No computer setup, no Power Requirements!

Mass Start

If your training event will be a Mass Start, then instead of each runner punching the Start control, the organizer uses the Start instruction finger stick in the printer control to indicate when the race starts.  Remember to time synchronize the printer control with all the other controls before the race!

Print | posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:53 PM

Feedback

# re: What the Printer Control BS7-P does

Left by Glen cafferty at 3/7/2010 10:08 PM
Gravatar Best description I've seen yet. What I was looking for was specifications and possibility of just purchasing the BSF7-P unit and instruction sticks only. I have a portable printer.

# re: What the Printer Control BS7-P does

Left by erict@sportident.ca at 3/26/2010 8:32 PM
Gravatar Yes, you can purchase the printer control and instruction sticks separately. You printer has to be able to converse using RS-232 at 4800 baud. The look and feel of the printed output is reprogrammable, so if your printer is wider you might take advantage of that.

# re: What the Printer Control BS7-P does

Left by David Ross at 4/29/2010 9:31 AM
Gravatar Hi Eric, It looks like the BS&-P is perfect for those smaller events that you want to avoid the hassle of setting up a computer etc. Please clarify though for me the steps needed to complete the project. It sounds like I need to buy a receipt type printer as well which then is attached to the BS7-P by the non usb cable. Does there need to be a battery pack involved for the receipt printer too?

Thanks, David Ross in Moncton, NB

# re: What the Printer Control BS7-P does

Left by Svend at 8/8/2010 6:21 PM
Gravatar Does the printer connect to PC by USB or parallel port?

# re: What the Printer Control BS7-P does

Left by Eric T. at 8/8/2010 6:45 PM
Gravatar Neither, the printer connects to the printer control. All these results are without a computer. Optionally you can connect the printer to a computer using a serial port, but a windows driver hasn't yet been released.

# re: Printer Control BS7-P won't talk to Windows 7 or XP via USB...

Left by Jim Hawkings at 9/1/2012 2:35 PM
Gravatar Eric,

I'm trying to get our BS7-P to talk to SI-Config on my computer(s) and I can't get it working on either Windows 7 or XP. The big headache is the male serial connector on the BS7-P. I have it hooked up with a female/female serial (crossover = null modem) cable and a serial/usb adapter cable (came with our SI equipment I presume) attached. I just can't get either system to communicate with it via usb. The Port comes up as a Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port in the Windows device manager on both operating systems, but all I can get from SI-config is a "station not ready".

My xp machine has a regular serial port so I was able to test a serial download station (BSM7 RS232)on it on both ports and I conclude the problem is not with the serial/usb adapter but with the female/female null modem cable. I think what I actually need is a female/female straight-through serial cable?

Any suggestions?